A Parábola da Ovelha Perdida – Jan Luyken
The Parable of the Lost Sheep (“The lost sheep sought and found by the shepherd” / “The good shepherd” / Das Gleichnis vom verlorenen Schaf / Gelijkenis van het verloren schaap / De gelijkenis van het verloren en teruggevonden schaap), 1712, Johannes Luyken (Also known as Jan Luyken, Dutch Poet, Illustrator and Engraver, 1649–1712), etching, 11.7 × 15.3 cm, Illustration to Luke 15:3-7 in “Bowyer’s Bible“, Bolton Museum, Greater Manchester, England, UK. More details: Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Large size here.
Notes: Robert Bowyer (British Miniature Painter and Publisher, 1758–1834) begun his illustrated Bible in 1791 and finished in 1795, included 32 engravings by James Fittler (British Engraver and illustrator, 1758–1835) after Old Master paintings. Bowyer also bought prints in France that he incorporated into a later edition known as “Bowyer’s Bible“; he had an agent purchase even more during the Napoleonic wars. These were added to Thomas Macklin (British Printseller and Picture Dealer, 1752/3–1800) illustrated edition of the Bible. The six volumes of the “Macklin Bible” have been expanded by careful grangerisation, extending it to 45 volumes. These volumes containing 6,330 illustrations. It was donated to Bolton libraries by his descendants in 1948 and is now on display in Bolton Museum, Greater Manchester, England.
It seems, the oldest source was the “Bible de Mortier”. Pieter Mortier (Dutch Mapmaker and Engraver, 1661–1711) worked on etchings for Bybelsche Tafereelen (Bible stories), published in Amsterdam in 1700. David van der Plas (Dutch Golden Age Portrait Painter, 1647–1704) worked with Mortier on the etchings. “Bible de Mortier” was “L’Histoire du vieux et du Nouveau Testament, Enrichie de plus de quatre cens Figures en Taille Douce, & c. Avec Privilege de nos Seigneurs les etats de Holland et de West-Frise”. Amsterdam and Antwerp. Pierre Mortier. 1700. 2 parts in 2 vols. Folio. 141 full-page plates for the first volume; 73 full-page engraved plates in the second volume. In all, 400 compositions engraved etching under the direction of David van der Plaes by the best artists of the time – including 216 inset plates and 5 double cards. The compositions are due to Jan Luyken, Bernard Picart, I. de Latere, Jan Goeree, Otto Elliger, etc. Another important source was the popular “Sailor’s Bible” called “Lusthof des Gemoeds“, by Jan Philipsz Schabaelje, 1714.
Currently, some copies of these etchings are exhibited in museums around the world. Recently a work was conducted by Phillip Medhurst, formely chaplain of Malvern College, Worcestershire, England. Medhurst’s purchase and collation of prints illustrating the Bowyer’s Bible (“The Phillip Medhurst Collection“) uses the photographic works of Harry Kossuth, formely scholar of Wadham College, Oxford, UK. The collection is housed at Belgrave Hall, Leicester, UK.